Things to Do in New York City: Live the Fashionista's Dream at the Museum at Fashion Institute of Technology September 13 2017
There is no wonder why the Museum at Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) is considered to be the most fashionable museum in New York City, because they are all about amazing clothes, textiles, shoes and accessories from the past (as far back as the 18th century), present and sometimes even the future. This NYC treasure is one of the best things to do in New York City, especially for anyone who loves clothes. Even people who don’t really care about clothes can find something interesting among these well-styled permanent and special exhibitions. You may even find something from the past that you want to incorporate into your present wardrobe!
The permanent collection features fashion from a collection of more than 50,000 items representing some of the best and most famous designers in the world including Chanel, Dior, Balenciaga and more. They do have a habit of featuring some interesting contemporary avant-garde fashion.
The museum has three levels of galleries. The lower level is devoted to special exhibitions, the main floor has a living history of fashion and the next level features the Gallery FIT, which features work from students and faculty. It is a great place to see work from new and upcoming designers before everyone else.
The Museum at FIT is located at Seventh Avenue at 27 Street in New York City 10001-5992. It is open Tuesdays through Fridays from noon to 8 PM and Saturdays from 10 AM to 5 PM. They are closed Sundays, Mondays and on July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Fun facts about the Museum at FIT
- About 100,000 people visit per year
- There are only a handful of museums dedicated to fashion in the world including: Muse de la Mode, the Mode Museum, and the Museo de la Moda.
- Some of their most controversial exhibits were: The Corset: Fashioning the Body, Gothic: Dark Glamour and A Queer History of Fashion: From the Closet to the Catwalk.
- The museum was founded in 1969, but landed in its current location in 1974. Official exhibitions began in 1970.
- True fashionistas will want to check out FIT's Online Collections here.
- The main floor of the gallery is completely changed every six months, however it always depicts 250 years of fashion
- The Museum at FIT offers many lectures, panel discussions, special guided tours and they are celebrated for annual Fashion Symposium which features some of the greatest fashion minds in the world. Learn more about upcoming events here.
- There is no coat or bag check, so travel light to this museum
The team at New York Nightlife hopes that you enjoy learning all about clothes during your trip to the museum at FIT.
[Featured Image Fernando Leon/FIT]